You’ve simply discovered a brand new number of melon at your farmers’ marketplace — no longer the standard watermelon or cantaloupe however a beautiful yellow melon with rippled rind. Or there’s one who’s small, oval and inexperienced one with white flesh. You’ve simply came upon one of the vital many causes to buy your native qualified farmers’ marketplace — selection!
We’ll have a good time qualified farmers’ markets Aug. 7-13 and the worth they bring about for your local people all through Nationwide Farmers’ Marketplace Week. In truth, we’re celebrating for the entire month of August!
The original sorts of melons and different vegatables and fruits you purchase stimulate native economies, assist keep farmland and build up get entry to to wholesome and dietary meals. Farmers’ markets play an crucial function of their communities by means of developing house for neighborhood connection and actively fostering extra resilient and equitable native meals techniques.
What does it imply to be a licensed farmers’ marketplace, and why is it so essential that you simply store “qualified?” Briefly, it implies that produce is dropped at the marketplace immediately from the farm and the growers themselves. In California, best California-grown produce can also be qualified on the market in farmers’ markets. While you to find that distinctive melon at your qualified farmers’ marketplace, you understand it’s in the neighborhood grown in California and of prime quality.
Thankfully, there are lots of sorts of melons grown in California. Probably the most readily to be had are the honeydew, watermelon and cantaloupe, however inside those commonplace melons are diversifications. As an example, watermelon can are available in a “fridge” dimension (small and spherical) or with shiny yellow flesh, quite than crimson.
Many forte melons can best be discovered at your native qualified farmers’ marketplace and be offering outstanding taste, texture and colour, such because the Crenshaw, Persian, Sharlyn, Santa Claus, Casaba and the bittermelon, an Asian selection. Myriad different sorts also are to be had this summer time. Each and every have rather other rind and flesh colours, sizes and beauty. Take a look at all of them! Now that you simply’ve introduced your melon house, we now have some nice tactics so that you can serve them:
- The ever-popular cantaloupe wrapped with prosciutto, a candy and salty chunk that’s an established favourite. Or make a salad with cantaloupe chunks, prosciutto, and mozzarella balls.
- Melon ball and feta salad. Get your self a melon baller, or simply minimize melons into cubes, toss with crumbled feta, pickled crimson onion, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Mix melon and rosé wine for a melon frozé.
- Make a fruity pizza along with your favourite melon and ricotta cheese and crowned with contemporary arugula.
- Watermelon ice pops can also be made by means of mixing the flesh and honey or sugar, water and lemon juice, an actual tasty deal with on a sizzling summer time day.
- Make a relaxing cantaloupe soup, refreshing and candy.
- Whip up a honeydew smoothie for the youngsters after college or make an grownup beverage out of it with a jigger of gin, rum or vodka.
- Honeydew and cucumber pass smartly in combination, so toss them with crimson onion and feta or different salty cheese for a fast facet salad.
- Every other candy/salty appetizer is honeydew or casaba melon wrapped with thinly sliced lox.
- Bittermelon is ceaselessly lost sight of as being too sour, however in lots of tradition it’s utilized in stews, stir-fries or soups. Communicate along with your farmer for some nice recipes.
There are lots of alternative ways to experience summer time melons, however occasionally the perfect is the most productive, particularly while you slice into a wonderfully chilled melon, contemporary from the farmers’ marketplace. Talk over with J&J Ramos Farms and Resendiz Farms, each from Hughson for just-picked, vine-ripened melons at your East Bay farmers’ marketplace.
Debra Morris is a promotions coordinator for the Pacific Coast Farmers’ Marketplace Affiliation and writes the Time Is Ripe column. Touch her at [email protected]
Recipe: Watermelon Feta Salad
- 6 cups of cubed seedless watermelon
- ½ cup of crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup of pickled crimson onion in rings
- 12 mint leaves stacked, rolled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
Dice the melon into bite-sized chunks. Toss with onions, cheese, sliced mint, lemon zest and juice, and olive oil. Style prior to you salt. The quantity of salt you need will range with how salty your feta is.