Clif Bar billionaires reap 2,400% achieve via rebuffing early buyout

By way of Josephine Walker | Bloomberg

Gary Erickson used to be introduced a tantalizing sum from Quaker Oats in 2000 to promote Clif Bar & Co., his upstart energy-bar maker: $120 million.

He walked away. As the corporate’s website online put it: “CLIF Is No longer For Sale.”

Twenty-two years later, that calculus has modified. Erickson and his spouse, Package Crawford, this week permitted a $2.9 billion buyout from snack large Mondelez Global Inc. As soon as finished, the purchase will catapult the California-based couple into the category of self-made billionaires.

By way of rebuffing the sooner be offering and taking Mondelez’s deal, Erickson and Crawford have banked a 2,400% achieve from preserving the energy-bar corporate circle of relatives and worker owned for the reason that flip of the century. They prolonged 20% in their stocks to employees as a retirement get advantages in 2010, whilst conserving the rest 80%.

The couple’s mixed stake could be value about $2.3 billion ahead of taxes, despite the fact that federal and state capital beneficial properties taxes would scale back their providence to $1.55 billion. The circle of relatives additionally operates White Highway Investments, a sustainable challenge capital company, and an natural vineyard and farm in California’s Napa Valley.

Erickson and Crawford didn’t reply to requests for remark.

Mondelez, the Chicago-based maker of Oreos and Cadbury sweets, stated that Clif will proceed running from its headquarters in Emeryville, California, and also will stay its amenities in Indianapolis and Dual Falls, Idaho.

Erickson has stated he were given inspiration for a greater tasting calories bar after a 175-mile motorbike experience, spending six months in his mom’s kitchen to search out the primary recipe for his flagship Clif Bar, named after his father Clifford. Its manufacturers have expanded to incorporate Luna, which is aimed toward ladies, and Clif Child for youngsters.

See also  ‘Mi Cocina’ through Rick Martínez brings the flavors of Mexico into your kitchen

Erickson and Crawford named Sally Grimes, previously a gaggle president at Tyson Meals, as leader government officer in 2020, noting that “her observe document for cutting edge considering will lend a hand take us to the following degree.”

“Their center of attention at the lengthy recreation is inspiring and provides never-ending attainable,” Grimes stated within the remark pronouncing her as CEO.

Extra tales like this are to be had on bloomberg.com

©2022 Bloomberg L.P.